Friday, July 9, 2010

Embracing the Paradoxes

On some days, this whole experiment of buying time at the cost of many other things feels light and fun, but on other days it seems to be a serious undertaking. Gretchen Rubin, in her book 'The Happiness Project' verbalizes the paradoxes I feel really well.

"I kept running up against paradoxes. I wanted to change myself but accept myself. I wanted to take myself less seriously – and also more seriously. I wanted to use my time well, but I also wanted to wander, to play, to read at whim. I wanted to think about myself so I could forget myself. I was always on the edge of agitation; I wanted to let go of envy and anxiety about the future, yet keep my energy and ambition."

Gretchen in her blog has a post on the Paradoxes of her Happiness Project.

I am a sucker for 'Happiness' books. Gretchen Rubin, in her book, takes a simple concept (one full year of trying out different happiness-boosting techniques) but writes it in a memoir and slice-of-life style to produce a highly engrossing organic narrative. The book succeeds because she hasn’t let the structure come in the way of her story.

Even though I have only started the book, I highly recommend it to those interested in the subject.

3 comments:

Retired Syd said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book. It looks like the kind of book I would really like also.

Interesting because I've been kind of thinking about the same thing lately--in my case I'm thinking it's "balance". When you are working it's hard to find the balance with everything else you want to do in your life, yet when you're retired, it shifts entirely to the other extreme, in a way, losing balance on that side too . . .

Unknown said...

I saw the nice mention of my book/blog, The Happiness Project, here! I very much appreciate those kind words and you shinning a spotlight on my work!! Thanks and best wishes,
Gretchen

Ram said...

@Retired Syd:

Balance is a very apt term. In fact I will post on it very soon.

@Gretchen,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I've already recommended your book to a number of people.