Monday, November 8, 2010

Happiness is the Goal - Hsieh

The other day, my wife looked at my bedside stack of books and said, "You are reading a lot of books on happiness."

Indeed, I find it difficult to resist books, videos and articles on happiness. This graphic, by Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos.com points to the reason. As Tony reminds us, if you ask someone why they want to do something, and whatever their answer, if you follow it up again by asking 'why' and keep doing that recursively, the answer always leads to "happiness." Ultimately, we want to be happy because we want to be happy.


He has this graphic in his book "Delivering Happiness" which is a very good book on customer service and on having the right set of values, and is a fun read. If you haven't read or heard much about Zappos.com's culture, you should read this book.

4 comments:

Your Own Retirement said...

I think if you go through life with the right mind set people can retire feeling great about their life accomplishments.

Chris said...

Hey Ram,

If you were to recommend one book on the subject of Happniness that you've read, which would it be?

Ram said...

@Chris,

Good question, Chris. I will post about that, but since you are pinning me to name one book, I'll pick Daniel Gilbert's "Stumbling On Happiness." I learned lots and lots of non-obvious things from that one.

Ram

Chris said...

Thanks Ram, I'll have to check that one out. Another potential topic for a future post - has reading about how to be happy made you happier?

Chris