Saturday, December 6, 2008

Intellectual Stimulation

Last month, I had the opportunity to get together with a bunch of my grad schoolmates from UB in the Bay Area. The range of topics that got covered was refreshing. It reminded me of what I miss about not working.

Out of the three things I used to get from my work, I mostly miss only one. The income would help, especially given what the market has done to my savings, but I don’t miss it all that much. The gratification of hearing colleagues praise the work I did (psychic income) would be great as well, but I don’t miss that either. These days, I spend most of my time with my wife, and I have been married long enough to know that wives will never praise husbands the way they were praised at work.

So what I really miss is the intellectual stimulation. There were interesting problems (big and small) to solve, interesting tidbits that I would learn from colleagues during small talk and water-cooler chats. Over time people figure out what interests you and make it a point to mention that to you. That ‘food for thought’ is what I miss the most.

Theoretically, I know that I have to compensate for whatever it is that I am missing by actively seeking that out. I guess I can seek those out in websites, newspapers and magazines, but so far it doesn’t feel quite the same. It is the classic difference between Pull vs. Push. I liked having these things pushed to me.

Lesson: Before you retire or give up your work, try and figure out what you will miss. Maybe you can then figure out how to compensate for whatever that is.

2 comments:

Retired Syd said...

Yesterday I was watching the coverage of the conflict between Israel and Hamas in Gaza and heard myself asking the TV a bunch of questions that didn't get answered. So I went on the internet and spent about 3 hours reading the history of the conflict in the region. I just kept thinking of follow-up questions and searching for opinions on the answers.

I was involved in a debate with a friend over the conflict and realized how much I still needed answered.

This is what I love about retirement, having endless time to pursue exactly the intellectual stimuli that stimulate ME. Way more interesting than researching a tax planning issue, in my opinion!

Ram said...

@Syd:

Thanks, Syd.
Yes, we have a lot of time at hand, and the onus is on us to spend it wisely.
In my post, I was just trying to warn people that this is something they have to prepare for before giving up work (and the accompanying social interaction.)

Ram