Friday, April 17, 2009

Another source of data

We went to the I-90 toll way Oasis to return our I-pass transponder. This was just one of the dozens of small things that have to be taken care of when you are moving. The guy at the booth there was processing our refund to give us our deposit back.
“Did it already deduct the tolls that we just paid?” we asked him. We had just crossed the toll point at O’Hare minutes ago.
He said yes and added, "Don’t worry, they are not going to come after you in India for 40 cents,” he said.
“How did you know that we are going back to India?” I asked him.
“Why else would you be returning the transponder?” he asked. “Just last week, I had 5 returns from Indians. Three of them are going back to New Delhi. The economy here is not so good. I think the Indian economy must be doing okay. People are going back.”

I was surprised at how, from his vantage point, he was piecing things together. Yes, it is all anecdotal and the sample size is tiny. But it was another small reminder to me that if you are willing to look, there are always unexpected sources to learn what’s going on.

2 comments:

P.C. said...

I do hope you'll keep your eye wide open and posting here after returning to India. Do you have a place in mind already?

Nigel said...

Just discovered your blog, and found it very interesting. Not sure if you have a post on what your plans are for retirement (Return to India? What about finances? Kids?). Good luck with your plans! I've long wanted to do what you're doing. Maybe someday...