Friday, January 16, 2009

Reasons to take up 'retirement' mid-career - Take 2

Last year, I picked up and read Elizabeth Gilbert's 'Eat, Pray, Love.' In one year, the author lives for 4 months each in 3 countries (Italy, India and Indonesia) and writes about her experiences. The time structure and the idea intrigued me very much. Gilbert writes with charm and wit, and often offers up interesting little insights. As an aside, the book has been especially popular with women.

I jotted down 3 sentences from the book, which seem to also articulate my reasons for leaving my corporate job in search for something else that is at the moment intangible.
"The Bhagavad Gita – that ancient Indian Yogic text – says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s life with perfection."

"I will say that the same thing which has helped generations of Sicilians hold their dignity has helped me begin to recover mine – namely, the idea that the appreciation of pleasure can be an anchor of one’s humanity."

"You abandon your comforting and familiar habits with the hope (the mere hope!) that something greater will be offered you in return for what you’ve given up."
All three are from various parts of Eat, Pray, Love.

2 comments:

Jhangora said...

Ram I wanna make a full time career out of blogging and related ecommerce stuff. Pray for my early-career retirement and thanx a lot for the feedback on Indiblogger.

Ram said...

@Jhangora,

It might be easier to make a career out of e-commerce ventures than from blogging. People do it, of course, but you definitely have an uphill battle.

Do take some of these AdSense revenue claims with a grain of salt.

If you choose something that you really enjoy, I am sure you will do well. I wish you the best.